Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Eggplant "Pizza" with Potato Crust


I had so many ideas for the little tiny eggplant I got from my CSA this week. Roasting. Pan frying. Babaganoush. Tiny eggplant parm. Tiny vegetarian moussaka...


Then Joanne from Eats Well With Others posted this amazing recipe that turned a Provencal salad into an amazing looking pizza. My first instinct was just to make that pizza and call it a day. But that moussaka kept calling my name. But, as much as I love moussaka, it's a lot of work. Roasting, layering, sauce-making. I mean, I'm on vacation. And it was a really tiny eggplant. As much fun as developing a recipe for an individual serving on moussaka sounded, it just didn't seem like the best idea.


But I had all of the basic ingredients: potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, feta...and then Joanne's pizza called my name again. Then I thought: If you can turn any salad into a pizza, it must be far easier to turn any casserole into a pizza. Then I got an even more cleaver (to me--I'm sure many a food blogger has thought of it before) idea: what if I used to potatoes to make the crust? I know, I'm a genius. Some grated potato, some egg to bind it. Pop it in the oven. Top with onion, roasted eggplant, tomato and feta with some herbs and spices. That's what I call an amazing (gluten free) dinner.

Fine, it's no New York style pie, and a far cry from my usual pizza (remind me sometime to tell you about D's 30th where I made several delicious pizzas including a regular crust with potato topping...and then was ignored by a room full of PhD students. Sigh.), but it was delicious in its own right. I think it still needs a little tweaking, but I'm going to share what I have so far. Let me know if you try it out and what adjustments you make!


Eggplant "Pizza" with Potato Crust

Crust:
3 small red-skinned potatoes, shredded (about 1 1/2 c)
1 egg, beaten

Topping
1 small eggplant, sliced
1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 c oil cured black or kalamata olives, chopped
1/4 c feta cheese
1/2 t dried oregano
a pinch of cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400.

Toss the potato with a bit of salt and let sit for a few minutes. Squeeze out as much water as possible and mix with the beaten egg. Cover a pizza pan with a sheet of parchment. Press crust into a roughly circular shape, about 9" across on top of the parchment. Bake for about 20 minutes. Brush with a little bit of olive oil. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes (or until the top is a bit crisp).

While the crust is cooking: saute the onion (or even better, caramelize it). Toss the eggplant with a bit of olive oil and roast in the oven (just put it on the other rack) for 10-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your slices).

When the crust is cooked though, remove from the oven and top with the onions, eggplant, tomatoes, olives and cheese. Sprinkle with the herbs and spices. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melty (you know, as melty as feta gets) and the tomatoes are softened.

Makes a 9" pizza

1 comment:

  1. I love that you turned my pizza into this masterpiece! Crazy awesome idea. I especially love that you added cinnamon and nutmeg into the mix. A girl after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...