Friday, September 2, 2011

Peach-Basil Infused Vodka

Day 1

I think infusing liquors may be my new favorite hobby. It's also far less time consuming than most of my hobbies, which as the school year gets started is a plus.

If D actually drank I'd have the happiest boyfriend in Brooklyn. Since he doesn't, I'm sure I have some friends who'd like to reap the benefits of my new hobby. I'm thinking about making this cucumber-jalapeno tequila for my friend Becky as a birthday gift.  I'm going to start making my own vanilla extract. It's going to be amazing.


I'm even thinking about getting fancy and storing my creations in pretty bottles. Brooklyn Flea has had some very cool looking bottles lately. I might swing by on Saturday and pick some up (OK, I will definitely be there on Saturday if for no other reason than to get my grilled cheese fix, but I might pick up a couple of bottles).

Both of the infusions I've made so far have been delicious. They key, it seems, is not to over-infuse the vodka. And to drink it very cold. I think many of us have gotten so used to sugary, artificial flavored liquors that infusions taste a little a little more like vodka and not so much like candy. If you have a sweeter taste, adding a tiny bit of agave nectar to your drink does the trick. It doesn't overwhelm the flavors of the infusion, but adds enough sweetness to take the edge off the drink. With this peach vodka, you could also use a bit of simple syrup left over from canning peaches. It will add a bit more peach flavor and a touch of sweetness.

I'm hoping to get one more herb-infused vodka in before summer is officially over. Maybe something to serve at my tomato canning party next weekend? What herb-infusion do you think would be good in Bloody Marys?
Day 6

So far I've had this over ice with a bit of seltzer, but I bet it would make a fabulous spiked iced tea. If I come up with any drinks for this, like I did with the raspberry, I'll be sure to post them. School's starting up again, so I'm sure I'm going to need a Friday at 4pm something to ease my way into the weekend...

I'm submitting this post to Punk Domestics. Update: I'm featured on Punk Domestics!

Peach-Basil Infused Vodka on Punk Domestics

Peach-Basil Infused Vodka
Adapted from Ashley English's herb infused vodka primer on Design Sponge


about 4 c of vodka (I used LiV again)
2-3 sprigs fresh basil
1 nearly ripe peach, pitted and cut into quarters (you can peal it if you want to, but the peal gives it a nice rosy color)

Place peaches and basil in a sterilized quart mason jar.

Pour vodka over the peach and basil until you reach the neck of the jar. Cover with lid and tighten the screw band. Turn the jar a few times.

Store in a cool, dark place for 3-5 days, shaking or turning every day. Start tasting after three days and continue to infuse until you reach the desired flavor (I infused mine for 6).

Strain the vodka through a fine meshed strainer or cheesecloth. Wash out the jar and return the vodka to the jar (or funnel into a pretty bottle).

Store vodka in the freezer for up to two months.

Makes about 1 quart infused vodka


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. you're so clever!

    I wonder if you could do basil & horseradish infused vodka for bloody marys? In Canada we have what's called a caesar - clamato juice (kind of like less thick tomato juice), Tabasco, Worcestershire, pepper, salt rim & vodka + any other flavors you want and basil and horseradish are to die for in those. So why not bloody mary's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have discovered infusing vodkas and gins as a hobby last year and I am far from quitting it. There are some disappointing results, but also many successful ones and there is something magical about the taste which changes every couple of months... I have just opened a bottle of infused vodka which was simply atrocious 6 months ago. Now it's sophisticated and elegant...
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to read about your vodka infusing adventures. Good luck!
    Thank you for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I recently infused vodka with strawberry and basil. i cant remember how many days i let the mixture sit (6-10 days??), but when i finally tasted it, the basil flavor was not good. at all :( have you had this experience? with the basil turning in some way that creates a very bad flavor?
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kristy: Amazing idea! I guess I'd infuse it for three days like an herb vodka?

    @ fromthewestandback: I'm pretty new at this, so I'm not sure. All the information I've found says to let infused vodka with herbs sit for fewer days than you would a fruit infusion. Check out the link at the beginning of the recipe. Ashley English is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...